Welcome to Västerviks museum
Adults 50 Sek
Children under 18 years free
Opened in 1933, Västerviks Museum has formed the heart of an open-air museum. The open-air museum consists of several buildings including a windmill, viewing tower, boatswains cottage and a boathouse. Twice a year, once in the autumn and at Christmas there are markets for the general public.
In the Maritime Hall is one of the museums permanent exhibitions and tells the story of Västervik as a port, there you can see a model of an18th-centry shipyard. The first shipyard, opened in 1548 on the orders of King Gustav Vasa, lay close to the medieval stronghold of Stegeholm, the ruins of which now stage the annual folk song festival.
On the 16th June 2006 the Museum was extended to include a Nature room with the theme “The sea, archipelago and people of Tjust” and a new exhibition hall that can be used even for concerts and theatres and conferences.
Due to the extension the museum is now suitable for disabled.
During the summer months there is also a restaurant housed in an old Salt House.